Must Have No-Fuss Moss Indoors?

I’ve been mossing around lately after a fellow Austin garden blogger, Pam at the fabulous Digging, introduced me to these decorative puffs called “moss rocks”.   To save on shipping, we considered going in together on an order.   They are not cheap but worth it in my opinion if they are truly as sustainable and easy-care as the website describes.

BUT then the question was raised if the moss really would be so easy to maintain indoors in Austin.  Was my $eramic “rock” (designed specifically to hold moss) destined for the local Goodwill shelf where shoppers would pick it up and think ‘Pretty color, but…what  is it?’

Was I essentially tossing $50 out the window for a high-end Chia Pet?

So we ended up not placing the order…. but I remained hooked on wanting my very own Muppet-like zen oasis.

I called local nurseries looking for moss….the common name for this type of moss is “mood moss”, but all they had were pre-packaged mosses- most were artificially colored.   I wanted real live fresh moss and…..

I found it on eBay- about a square foot for $10 including shipping!  When it arrived from Pennsylvania a few days later, I poked around the house for what to pair it with and came up with a miniature pot, a shell and a piece of raku pottery.

Experimenting with what surface puts mood moss in a happy state; dirt vs. a slick shell surface

A thrift store find raku shell dish- I like the organic shape and texture paired with moss

My mosses are in sunny locations but no direct sun, and I’m misting them liberally bi-weekly.   I may still order the more elegant designer  moss rock; I especially like the lichen shade, the largest of the three in the first photo.

Dicranum moss, often called mood moss

In the past I’ve used dicranum moss for lining Easter baskets and for covering the dirt of potted indoor bulbs.    Here are some useful facts and clever ideas about moss….

*  “the truth about moss” from expert David Spain

Martha Stewart’s recent moss segment with Mr. Spain

10 Comments (+add yours?)

1. Amy/Go Away, I"m Gardening!
    Nov 10, 2011 @ 18:32:58

I think what you put together looks great!! I might have to give it a try, as well.

2. Shirley
    Nov 10, 2011 @ 18:54:02

What a resourceful idea. Those look good and what great way to make sure moss will work for you before investing.

Keep us “posted.”

• cyndik
      Nov 11, 2011 @ 13:34:57

I’m still on the lookout for a cool rock or driftwood to moss-ify…..and I’m now thinking about making a terrarium…so there’s probably more to come : )
      Shirley, I kept noticing red yuccas when I was driving around yesterday….looking at what they were paired with….have you thought about golden barrels in that front bed – they’d give continuous color in the winter when the lantana fades.

3. Terese
    Nov 11, 2011 @ 04:26:20

This looks like fun and a good cool weather activity. Thanks!

• cyndik
      Nov 11, 2011 @ 13:38:01

You’re welcome, Terese….yes, I still have a few things to plant but then tasks will be slowing down outdoors…..then a great time for long walks on Austin’s trails…..

4. Ally
    Nov 11, 2011 @ 17:05:16

I saw the Martha Stewart show on the moss gardens and was immediately transported back to my childhood in New Hampshire where moss like this grows wild in the woods. I love your creative take on this fun idea. Thanks for sharing.

• Leah Perlongo
      Nov 03, 2013 @ 16:01:10

I just moved to New Hampshire from Georgia. The house I lived at in Georgia had moss overgrowing most of the yard as it was in a pretty shady area. I loved it! So… I packed several tubs of the stuff to take with me when we moved. I’d never been to New Hampshire before… yeah, turns out it’s the same moss in both places! :D

5. Pam/Digging
    Nov 12, 2011 @ 10:07:08

I will probably still give the Moss Rocks a try at some point, but I am too busy to herd cats for a group order at this time. But I do like your handmade version as well!

• cyndik
      Nov 12, 2011 @ 12:39:58

I’ll get with you on Facebook….I’ll pull the trigger / herd the cats. I like the elegance of the official moss rocks….and great gifts.